Friday, May 05, 2006

Reminisce

A couple from Dobuy are in town and tomorrow night we’ll be partying Dobuy stylee ie: table at a “prominent” club, no doubt blinged up to the nine’s oozing labels and some such rubbish.

I’m in a reminiscent mood as I was just reading back at some of my posts during my stay in cesspit sandylands. These friends moved to Dobuy 2 months after I did and they were part of the surrogate family I used to hang out with. We partied many a nights, taking the piss and just generally up to no good. We threatened to play hide and seek or knock knock ginger on their housing compound – I sure wish we had.

Until things started changing…

We used to hang out in a group of six, two couples and two single girlies. Nights out used to be guaranteed laughs. One of the couples struck it rich and became what is synonymous in dobuy; Nouveau rich.

As I have said before, I have no problems with rich folk – good for them. However, when people become overnight rich, their company becomes a little unbearable. Suddenly conversations revolve around new Rolex watches, 2 carat diamond rings or new Ferraris,

This particular couple were desperately trying to keep up with the nouveau rich couple and it was a sad to see this happen as it slowly started tearing the group apart. Get togethers became obligatory as opposed to fun.

This will only be the second time meeting them in the UK since I left Dobuy, and it’s interesting seeing the front they put on now…

Only wanting to stay in hotels and not their family homes. Only shopping in Harrods. Not wanting to go to certain places unless they get reserved seating. With this statement, I joked to him and said “what, is it because they don’t have a VVIP section?” But it’s true.

Money sure does funny things to people, especially if you are in a non grounded civilization like Dobuy.

Last time I met him, I was frank with him and told him my opinion of what had happened and how pitiful it was. Fortunately he acknowledged it. I also told him not to bother trying to keep up as it’s quite apparent they are. I really wish i had said something 2.5 years ago when it all started falling apart instead of distancing myself from them. If I had spoken to them, then more fun times could have been had. At the end of the day, this couple has something which the nouveau rich will never have – they have true love and each other.

Yes, you may puke now, but money just can’t buy everything…

I sure wish it could.

1 Comments:

Blogger NML/Natalie said...

Lovely post and I feel sadness for your friends. It must be difficult in that environment not to get sucked in if you're of a certain temperament. You'd be fine with that money but others just let it go to their head and those two should be careful that it doesn't hit their relationship. Sometimes you need people who knew you even when you weren't rich and whose opinion that you can trust to tell you straight. I suspect that's you. Have a good weekend.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home