Thursday, July 14, 2005

Beef or the chicken

It wouldn’t be right to talk about Dubai without mentioning the lovely ladies who serve the national carrier…Emirates Airline crew – or “crew” as they are known about town. When I was 18 I remember leafing through my local paper and seeing an advert for Emirates Airline crew where you could earn a tax free salary, provided with accommodation coated with a glamorous job of flying around the world. I opted for further education but it looked kinda glamorous, however essentially it is the role of a glorified Tesco check-out girl.

These girls have it good though. They are good looking (well most are) with guys falling at their feet, they have fabulous perks, live in the best apartments in town, receive plenty of discounts around town, allowed access into clubs with little bother and there are even bar nights dedicated to them. However along with these perks, they drag behind them a rather unfortunate stigma of being on the “easy” side, shy of a few brain cells and seem to have one aim in life; hitch up with a rich passenger in business or first class.

It certainly wouldn’t be fair to paint all of them with the same brush, as I am quite sure they are not all the same. However I have had a few occasions, which makes me beg to differ. Once I was sat on the beach (fully clothed) whilst watching the sunset and these locals drove by in their hefty 4x4. They passed by me, made a u-turn heading back my way… I thought, oh ghad, here we go… they parked in front of me and one of them asked;

“You croo?”
“Hmmm, excuse me?”
“You work for croo?”
“Who is croo?”
“You emirate crew?”
“ohhh!” penny drops “no I don’t”

Disappointment spread across their faces and off they sped into the distance. I am sure they would have stuck around if I had been crew…

Ok, another time about 3 years ago, I went out for dinner with a few work colleagues. One of the guys was single at the time, so his past time was doing crew. On that particular evening he decided to bring a girl on each arm to dinner with him. By the time he arrived, we had consumed a couple of glasses of wine, which meant I was well on my way to the merry-land-express. Usually I’d welcome new people and encourage good conversation (in my tipsy state), but these girls were so far up themselves, you’d think they were royalty. They looked so far down their noses at us, its as though they were looking at us through telescopes!

The rest of us had had enough of this behaviour, so one decided to pose a dare for me to accomplish before the night was over. My task was to ask one of the girls on his arms if she would like the beef or the chicken. This was to be executed without laughing or any sign of amusement. I am quite sure they get this all the time and it wasn’t very nice but given their antisocial egotistical manners, I was merry and the gauntlet had been thrown so I accepted the challenge.


On my first attempt I was just going to blurt out the question, but this was met with fits of giggles. Second attempt I’d mistakenly picked up a platter of tiger prawns and only realised this, as I was about to ask the question (stifled school children sniggers around the table). I finally made it on the 3rd attempt and my question was met with;

“ohh, the chicken please”

I rest my case…

2 Comments:

Blogger ReginaFilangee said...

thank you, and your point is?...

11:51 PM  
Blogger ReginaFilangee said...

As Dubai is such a small town city, things tend to get magnified, so yes - air hostesses were not invented in Dubai. However, their behaviour and reputation is certainly wider spread and felt. For example, in London you would never have a night where BA or Virgin crew were given free drinks. Neither would there be particular entire buildings around town named after them. eg "trolley towers" or "tampon towers".

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home